Info|Services: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Family supports for children with disabilities

Family supports for children with disabilities provides support to Yukon families to care for their child with a disability (up to 19 years of age).

Family Supports for Children with Disabilities:

  • provides support to Yukon families to care for their child with a disability.
  • supports early intervention to increase a child's lifelong learning potential.
  • provides coordinated access to supports and interventions.
  • promotes inclusion of children with disabilities in community life.

Contact Family Supports for Children with Disabilities for more information on support for your child and family.



Who can make a referral to Family Supports for Children with a Disability?

Parents can make a referral.

With your permission, someone working with your child such as a doctor or teacher may also make a referral.


My child has a disability. Are we eligible for services?

If your family lives in Yukon and your child is less than 19 years of age.

Your child should have either a medical assessment from a doctor, mental health assessment, Child Development Centre report, Department of Education report etc. A child does not need to have a diagnosis and can be in the process of assessment to receive supports.


What information will they ask me when I call?

Child’s name, date of birth, type of disability and if there is a report, family members names, address and telephone numbers.

No financial information about your family is required to access services. Families will first need to access other appropriate resources prior to accessing the FSCD program (e.g. private insurance, employee benefit programs, other government programs).


What funding for supports may be available to my child and family?

  • Respite
  • Family Counselling
  • Sibling Care
  • Inclusion Supports

If my child has complex needs, what specialized funding for interventions may be available?

  • Specialized interventions such as research based therapies
  • Specialized recreational therapies and camps
  • Homemaker services for family
  • In-home child care

 What happens after I make the referral?

A social worker will contact your family to arrange a convenient time to meet with you and your child to discuss your family’s needs. Visits can occur either at your home, the Family Supports for Children with Disabilities office or other locations. One or two, hour long meetings may be required.


 What should I bring to the initial meeting?

  • Status Indian card if applicable
  • Assessments or reports about your child.

 What happens at the initial meeting?

  • Introductions
  • Further information may be gathered such as your child’s school or daycare.
  • Explanation of supports and services available to your child and family.
  • Discussion of other supports available to your family.
  • Consent forms will be reviewed.
  • Review of confidentiality.
  • Review of options for funding.


Contact info

Family supports for children with disabilities

Phone: 867-393-7464

Toll Free (Yukon, Nunavut and NWT); 1-800-661-0408 ext. 7464

Fax: 867-667-7553

Mailing Address:

Family supports for children with disabilities (H-11b)
Health & Social Services, Government of Yukon
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon  Y1A 2C6

Location: 49 Waterfront Place | Whitehorse, Yukon [map]


Leave this empty: